Ultimate Warfare Online multiplayer Text-based game
Welcome to the Ultimate-Warfare forums!
You are currently not logged in, you can only view the forums now. Click here to login!

Last Login: CrossSet - Last Registered: CrossSet
Attract new players
Name: frank
Forum Moderator
I'm close to getting the game stable and fixing the last known bugs. It's time to get some new players and make this game more attractive to others. Most of this needs to be done by me, but any help/input would be great!

Things i'm going to do:
- Send an email about this game to all formal beta testers.

Things we need to discuss about:
- Invite friends feature ingame? This could help, but how can i make it be a usefull features? Rewards or anything?

Any other ideas are welcome!

Thanks,
Frank

Last edited by: frank
Date/Time:
03/11/11 : 00:16:43

Name: Reyth
Player
Yes I agree!

I think your beta tester idea is excellent.

Upon reviewing the multiplayer sites you have signed up with on the Community Page, we have a good shot at attention if we just vote every day. Some of the sites count votes over a month period and there are many 0's on every site -- if we vote we will stand out and this will automatically bring more visitors.

Are you able to review the "referring site" of each visitor and if so how are these sites working?

The most successful sites I've played on use a voting tracker that automatically tracks the last time a person voted and activates a link when 24 hours has passed. They also provide in-game rewards for each vote.

One additional method that I have run across is rewards for links placed on other sites. This is a little tricky but the system actually verifies the link was placed by the user entering the URL where the link is located (each forum post has a unique URL for instance).

Last edited by: Reyth
Date/Time:
03/11/11 : 07:19:39

Forum Moderator
I have send messages to all formal players, but i'm afraid many of them end in spam boxes. This site doesn't have an high reputation (not yet:P) so most spam filters will drop my emails in spam folders.

I also finished my vote tracking system. From your game page you will see a link called "Vote 4 UW", vote links appear their every 24 hours, so feel free to vote once a day Hope this helps to get some new players. The tracking system rewards players with 1 support fame, and an UW coin. Support fame is just a symbol, the more you have the better you supported Ultimate-Warfare. The UW Coins will give you an advantage with something (currently unknown) ingame, as a reward for voting. Idea's on what advantage they will give you are welcome!

Thanks,
Frank

Date/Time:
04/11/11 : 23:06:04

Player
WOW! Very impressive!

Any chance you could code those links with a target _blank to open in another window? Sometimes I forget to use SHIFT when clicking.

On what the coins could be used for I am thinking that a "coin store" could be created where they can be redeemed for resources, free special operations, a free research level or game units. I think you could get creative with other things like that too.

Date/Time:
04/11/11 : 23:16:43

Player
WOW! Very impressive!

Any chance you could code those links with a target _blank to open in another window? Sometimes I forget to use SHIFT when clicking.

EDIT: HEE HEE DEAD END DOUBLE POSTED XD

Date/Time:
04/11/11 : 23:21:29

Forum Moderator
Fixed the voting links for you!
Date/Time:
04/11/11 : 23:23:10

Player
K, thanks!
Date/Time:
04/11/11 : 23:23:59

Forum Moderator
And hehe i had exactly the same problem with editing, going to fix that annoying bug right now

Edit: After editing a back link appears (Finally :P)

Date/Time:
04/11/11 : 23:25:16

Player
YEHEY!
Date/Time:
04/11/11 : 23:32:08

Player
Also, I notice that on some of the sites we don't have a banner. Maybe on some of them you have to pay to have a banner but at least one of them I know you don't. Did you do that on purpose?
Date/Time:
06/11/11 : 08:49:42

Player
BUMP
Date/Time:
06/11/11 : 17:03:01

Forum Moderator
No, probably forget it. Ill check them all tomorrow and sign up for some other sites too
Date/Time:
06/11/11 : 17:14:24

Player
Wow excellent. Its easy to vote now with the automated system you put in.
Date/Time:
06/11/11 : 20:08:48

Player
I was thinking it would be good to see how long until at least 1 link would be available again; so when it says "Sorry, no links available try again later" instead it would say "...try again in H:M:S".
Date/Time:
07/11/11 : 08:14:57

Forum Moderator
I added a countdown to the voting system. It counts down for every link
Date/Time:
07/11/11 : 10:01:05

Player
The first link in the list: xtremetop100 is not loading right now. I hope they haven't gone down permanently. Probably just server maintenance...
Date/Time:
21/11/11 : 09:25:43

Forum Moderator
Yes it probably was maintenance, seems like their server is back up again!
Date/Time:
21/11/11 : 22:30:32

Player
You might want to add voting to the mission list (put it in early on the list).
Date/Time:
22/11/11 : 20:04:06

Forum Moderator
Yes, that is a great idea!
Date/Time:
22/11/11 : 20:28:11

Player
Xtremetop100 votes every 12 hours!
Date/Time:
05/12/11 : 22:58:49

Forum Moderator
Okay! Ill fix that!

Thanks for reporting:P
Date/Time:
07/12/11 : 13:22:20

Forum Moderator
This is fixed now!
Date/Time:
08/12/11 : 00:46:01

Name: Dean_Winchester
Player
Maybe make a Youtube promotional video for the game, as in taking screen shots and showing people around the game. I could attempt to get people to join at the risk of getting jailed on another game and I really don't want that happening. Anyway, um, I found this game on a TOP MMORPG site. Was Number 1. So I thought about checking it out, as Army excites me.

Have you created a Facebook page for it? I know sites like that would gain attention if you use their advertising system if you have Facebook credits (I think). Have you tried using "Sign up through Facebook" scheme? Where people can sign up to the game using their facebook account? I know on another game I play has incorporated it, and I think it will gain attention - though that game is rather successful.

Google lets you advertise too. I think. Well I've noticed Google promoting sites.
Date/Time:
08/12/11 : 02:49:33

Forum Moderator
Hmm yeah an awesome youtube movie and a facebook page would attract new players. I'm not a graphical artist (see unit pictures:P) and i never used social media like facebook before.

I can take a look in facebook yes, if you have advice on how to use it to promote a game, post it here:P

If somebody is a graphical artist and likes to make a short screenshot movie for youtube, that would be awesome:P

I don't use Google to promote this game, Google ask $ per click and views. I made this game as hobby but don't have a budget to invest hundreds of dollars on advertisements. This game is free, and will be free in the future too. The down side of a free game is that it doesn't have a budget for advertising:P

Thanks,
Frank
Date/Time:
08/12/11 : 17:09:07

Name: Trevor
Player
Ah, I understand.

Well I know how create a page on Facebook, and use promotional ways to get the page around. I wouldn't know how to get the "Sign up through Facebook feature" into it.
Date/Time:
09/12/11 : 06:18:46

Player
Wats up with Trveor And Dean_Winchester??
Date/Time:
09/12/11 : 17:35:03

Forum Moderator
Maybe forum name changed? This can be done through the account settings page
Date/Time:
09/12/11 : 17:40:45

Player
Oh aha.
Date/Time:
09/12/11 : 17:50:08